Permitting & Review Steps
- Submit construction applications and plans via the online portal at the My Government Online Website. Upload your construction plans to the portal, including adequate details and information, so that your project may be reviewed. Include the "Plans Review Information Sheet (PDF)" with your plans upload.
- Your project must be reviewed for Health/Environmental, Drainage, and Fire Code;
- Once approvals are complete, and appropriate fees have been paid, the permit will be issued and may be downloaded via the permitting portal. Fees may be paid online with a credit card or in person at the Permit Office, 201 Airport Road, Anahuac, TX.
- Commercial projects must be inspected by the Fire Marshal and issued a Certificate of Compliance upon completion before the building is occupied.
Information Required to Complete Plans Reviews & Fire Permits
Buildings & Structures
Adequate information must be included with construction plans in order to review for fire code compliance, or the review cannot be completed. Please include the following information and details on the plans:
- A site plan to scale for the property includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Location of the proposed building in relation to adjacent buildings and property lines, with distances to each called out;
- Location of proposed fire lanes and fire apparatus access roads with distances to buildings called out;
- Location of existing fire hydrants and proposed fire hydrants with distances between fire hydrants and distances to buildings and fire lanes called out; and
- Location of fire department connection(s) in relation to the structure(s) it serves
- A floor plan to scale for each level of the building including, but not limited to the following:
- Types of construction materials and a class of interior finish;
- Location of all exits with distances between exits called out – exit width, type, and any special requirement shall be stated, including fire exit hardware;
- Location of any fire alarm equipment, automatic sprinklers, emergency lighting, etc. required to meet this Code;
- Defined occupancy classification and occupancy load;
- North arrow, accurate legend, door, and wall schedules; and
- Each room is labeled with specific use and square footage.
If unable to determine from the information submitted whether a permit should be issued, the Fire Code Official may require the submission of additional information, drawings, specifications, or documents.
Plans for construction or substantial improvement to buildings and facilities required to be designed by an architect or engineer, according to Texas statutes, shall be stamped and certified by an architect or engineer authorized to practice in the State of Texas.
Engineer required if:
- Single-story apartments over 8 units;
- Apartment that exceeds 4 units and exceeds 2 stories;
- Building over 5,000 square feet in area;
- Building with an unsupported span greater than 24 ft.
Architect required if:
- Institutional or residential facility;
- Publicly owned building of Education, Assembly, or Office Occupancy and construction cost exceeding $100,000;
- Publicly owned existing building of education, assembly, or office occupancy and alterations exceeding $50,000 and requiring the moving of walls, or alteration of an exit;
- Texas Engineering Practice Act § 1001.056
- Occupations Code §1051.703
Site Plans Only
For projects needing a site plan review that does not involve structures, please submit an application and upload the site plan to the permitting portal.
Fire Alarms, Fire Sprinklers, Vent Hood Suppression, or Other Fire Systems
These require a separate permit and review process. Please submit them via the online permitting portal, and upload associated system drawings.
Fireworks and pyrotechnic displays required a review, approval, and permit. Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include associated site plans, indicating distances to the audience, buildings, and fireworks. Please include the "Fireworks or Pyrotechnic Display Information Sheet (PDF)" with your online application upload.
Fireworks Retail Sales
Fireworks retail sites, including indoor sales and fireworks, stands, require review, approval, and permit. For more information, please see the Firework Retail Sales Regulations (PDF).
Flammable or Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include a site plan indicating distances to buildings from the tank, distances to property lines, product used, tank type, and tank identification numbers as applicable.
Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include Hazmat Information Sheets (PDF) which include an inventory of materials stored and their quantities. Storage layout is also required.
High Piled Storage
Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include storage layout diagrams, aisle widths, square footage, heights, and types and quantities of commodities stored.
Emergency Responder Radio Coverage Systems
Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include the system diagram, frequencies covered, and output power.
Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include floor layout, lock locations, types of lock, and failsafe measures.
Request for Final Inspection
When the construction of buildings or structures is complete, please fill out the“Request for Final Inspection (As-Built Certificate) (PDF)” form and upload it to the permit portal. Please note that in some cases the general contractor must complete the form, but in some cases, an architect or engineer must complete and stamp the form (as noted near the bottom of the form). You may Email the Fire Marshal when you are ready to schedule your final inspection.
For questions or more information, contact the Fire Marshal's Office.
- Commercial and Residential Development Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Fire Code Review Permit and Inspection Steps (PDF)
- Firework Retail Sales Regulations (PDF)
- Fireworks or Pyrotechnic Display Information Sheet (PDF)
- Hazmat Information Sheets (PDF)
- Permitting Information (PDF)
- Plans Review Information Sheet (PDF)
- Request For Final Inspection (As-Built) (PDF)